Does your hair need a little extra TLC? Having hair that is free from frizz, less damaged, and voluminous is something that I think we all strive to have! To help out our hair, it’s common to go to the salon and spend hundreds of dollars on a routine that probably will not work and most likely uses chemicals and dyes that can actually be harmful.
With the right ingredients that you probably have hanging around in your kitchen, you can mix up your own homemade, all-natural hair mask right at home to make your own built in spa! It’s also important to stay hydrated, eat healthy foods and to try and avoid washing your hair every day.
Over washing your hair can cause a dry scalp, which can cause dandruff. Using these DIY hair masks will condition your hair and help prevent breakage while being a healthier way to repair damaged hair of all types. Lather up your hair with these homemade recipes for a relaxing, spa-like experience.
1. DIY YOGURT AND HONEY HAIR MASK (FOR DRY, FRIZZY & BRITTLE HAIR)
This deep conditioning DIY hair mask recipe comes together in no time with just two simple ingredients: yogurt, and honey. If your hair is feeling dry, frizzy and brittle this will be one of your go-to hair masks. The fat from the yogurt will help moisturize and cleanse your scalp-make sure to buy full-fat yogurt.
Honey, specifically raw honey is an excellent, nourishing ingredient for your hair. The honey will seal in the moisture in your hair to keep it conditioned, which will reduce breakage and split ends.
Try doing this treatment at least once a week and if you have extra long hair, try doubling the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine all of the ingredients together.
- Work the mask onto your hair, from the scalp to the ends.
- Give your scalp a good massage – you want the mask to cover your scalp.
- Leave the mask on for 15 -20 minutes.
- Wash as normal, but really well! If you use conditioner, just a small amount on the ends will do.
- Do this treatment once a week to restore and maintain your hair.
2. DIY BANANA OLIVE OIL HAIR MASK (FOR DAMAGED HAIR)
This DIY hair mask treatment is best for when you have an overripe banana hanging around in the kitchen that you do not want to waste. Try out this recipe by blending the banana with olive oil to help repair damaged hair from chemicals, styling tools, chlorine and sun exposure. This mask will also help give dull hair its shine back as well as controlling those split ends!
Your beautiful locks will feel nourished and smooth after applying this mask, just make sure to wet your hair before applying this mask.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Get your ripe banana and extra virgin olive oil ready.
- Now into a blender, throw in your ripe banana (roughly chopped) and grind to a smooth, lump-free puree. This is crucial because you do not want to end up with lumps in your hair.
- Open up the blender and add your olive oil into the pureed banana. Give it another whirl in the blender. You will now have a really frothy and creamy hair mask that smells absolutely divine!
- Your banana olive oil hair mask is now ready for application! Get into the shower, wet your hair and use your fingers to apply the hair mask evenly through your hair strands and scalp as well. Allow it to sit for 10 – 15 minutes. Then rinse off thoroughly to reveal hydrated and conditioned, shiny hair!
3. DIY AVOCADO, COCONUT MILK
AND OLIVE OIL HAIR MASK (FOR DULL HAIR)
Whether you have straight, curly or wavy hair, this deep conditioning hair mask will bring dull hair back to life. You’ll only need three ingredients to make this all-natural hair mask and it might just be tempting enough to eat!
Simply blend together the avocado, coconut milk, and extra virgin olive oil and slather all over shampooed and conditioned hair. Tie up your hair in a bun, grab a glass of wine, relax and let this mask sit for about an hour. The fats in these ingredients will seal in moisture and keep it super soft.
- 1 soft avocado
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Make sure there are no lumps of avocado in the mixture. You don’t want them stuck in your hair after. Trust me.
4. DIY ALOE VERA HAIR MASK (FOR ITCHY SCALP AND DANDRUFF)
Aloe vera is known to be a wonderful ingredient for deep conditioning hair. It promotes hair growth, prevents an itchy scalp and reduces dandruff. This recipe uses ground cinnamon, which will stimulate the scalp for hair growth. Store bought aloe vera gel works for this recipe and even freshly scooped from the plant. Make sure to increase the recipe for longer hair.
- 2 tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic ceylon cinnamon powder
- In a bowl, take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. You can either use store bought pure aloe gel or use freshly scooped one. Add in cinnamon powder and give the mixture a good mix making sure there are no lumps.
- Once you are done with this, apply the mask all over hair and scalp. Do not worry if your scalp tingles a bit — it shows that the mask is working on the scalp. Tie a bun and cover your head with a shower cap. Shampoo it off after 10-15 mins.
For hair that’s on the oily side, replace the cinnamon with a few drops of lemon juice. The combination of aloe vera gel and lemon juice is a powerful team that will fight against oily hair. Since the lemon juice is so acidic, it will keep the dirt and grease from locking into your hair.
5. DIY PUMPKIN AND HONEY HAIR MASK (HAIR GROWTH)
If you have any pumpkin purée leftovers, this hair mask treatment was made just for you! Combine the pumpkin purée with honey and apply liberally to your hair and scalp and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Use a shower cap or plastic wrap to hold your hair and the mask in place. The pumpkin purée is rich in vitamins and minerals and helps promote healthy hair and hair growth.
This homemade hair mask can also serve as a face mask for glowing skin.
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey
- Mix both ingredients.
- Pack as much as you can onto your hair and scalp.
- You’ll need to either wrap your hair in saran wrap or wear a shower cap to keep the mask in place.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then rinse. Feel free to apply to your face as well!